"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Thursday, September 11, 2008

Chavonne the Walker

Oy, I've had the crappiest week. I mean, I know that I can say it's been a bad week, but this week has been bad. I almost quit my job and the social work program this week. It would have been a good week to get out there and run and not let myself stew and get more upset.

But I didn't! On Tuesday night, I planned for an early run that didn't work out and when I got home from work/internship, Surbhi called, so I poured a glass of wine and sat down to talk to one of my dearest friends after about two months of not doing so. It was a much better choice because we really needed to catch up. Who needs to run?

Anyhoo, during our talk, we caught each other up on our running progress. Well, really our non-running progress. Neither of us have run in about three weeks (though she has hit much higher milestones during her training!) and seem to have no time to do so right now. Well, we have time to run, but not increase mileage. It's hard to devote hours on end to run. So, we don't know what that means for the marathon, but we'll decide sooner or later (or, that morning when we decide to go to brunch instead).

While we were on the phone, I brought up walking and how I though that maybe I would like to start walking my miles instead of running them. I'm not sure about that, but I have walked four miles in the last two days. It's been great! My calves don't hurt and my right knee has been much nicer to me when I have to take the stairs. Even funnier, my pace is like 2 minutes faster than it was when I ran. I wonder if I sauntered too much during the walking portions of the runs.

I can't decide if I want to just focus on getting healthy right now rather than walking a marathon. I think I want to work on exercising daily and eating right for now and then seeing where that goes.

I think I'm going to have to change the title of my blog! Or merge it with my other one. Who knows?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of your continued commitment and of you trying to stay healthy. I love you!

Steph said...

You could just keep this one your exercise blog, and then no matter what you do (running, walking, yoga), you can report on it here.

I think it's nice to have a goal, but ultimately think about why you started running in the first place: was it to get healthy, or because you were on fire to run a marathon? For some people, having a big goal is what they need to keep their "eye on the prize", but for others, such lofty dreams can make every little stumbling point along the way feel catastrophic.

Right now, Tony and I have committed to working out 3 times a week for 30 minutes (Tues, Thurs, & Sun). Sure we could do more, but for us, moving to 3 times from 0 is enough of a first step. I guess my philosophy is that every little bit helps, and maybe I won't be fitting into those jeans as quickly as if I worked out every day, but then again, I actually have a chance of sticking with this. Also, on our non-running days, we're committed to taking the dogs for a longer walk after work, which so that we're still getting some lower impact exercise on those days too.

I guess all I'm saying is that for me, I'm trying to break my goal into more manageable and attainable parts. If you can't run, then walk. If you can't do 40 minutes, do 20. Every little bit helps, and if you don't do a marathon this year, there'll always be another one for you to strive for. But more importantly, by keeping up with exercise of any kind (and moderating diet too! Which sucks, I know... I've been craving fries & hamburgers non-stop for the past week!) you'll have covered more than 36 miles anyway!

Don said...

I think your mood has changed drastically since you wrote this blog post. I'm quite sure it has, cause Life always balances itself out. You're probably having the time of your life as I write this comment Right?