"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Monday, August 3, 2009

IE's The Life For Me!

Sigh. Okay. I've been writing this entry in my head since Friday, but have only found the courage to do so now. A few days ago, I wrote an entry in which I asked whether I should be focusing on something other than weight loss. I questioned if I would lose my mind living like this the rest of my life.

The next morning I woke up and had an answer for myself. I don't want to be counting calories (or sodium or carbs) for the rest of my life. I want to be healthy, no doubt, but I want to not worry about this forever. I was done with dieting.

I had heard of Intuitive Eating before. I took the book out a few months ago and read some of it. I wasn't ready at the time. I remember reading the first few chapters and saying, "I'm going to do this after I lose all of the weight. I want to be thin before I start this lifestyle." Ha! I now know that that was really faulty thinking.

So, I've made the resolution to never diet again. It's liberating as well as incredibly terrifying. I've been on a diet for at least the last 10 years! I'm scared to not be trying to be thin. But I'm so ready for this.

Kalem will be doing this with me as well. We feel really ready for this change in our lives. Maybe we will lose weight, maybe we won't. But we're (mostly, I'm) tired of the constant battle with food and weight.

The reason that I was so hesitant to write this entry was because I was sad that there's a real chance I'll lose the support of bloggers I've really come to lean on and appreciate in the last month or so. I'll still support others, but I truly don't believe that dieting works. I don't want to criticize what others are doing and/or what's working for them. So, we'll see how that changes this blog.

A good change, though, is that Kalem will be blogging here, too!

At this point, I'm doing the bare basics: eating what I want when I'm hungry and stopping when I no longer am. I'm reading through "the book" all the way through and then will go back and work through each principle at a much slower pace. I'll continue to write as I do so. I've already got an entry brewing in my head!

I wish all of my readers complete success in their health endeavours. I'm really excited about this process.

1 comment:

sharongracepjs said...

Good for you! I will definitely check out that book. You really, really, really should read 'Naturally Thin' by Bethenny Frankel. It's ALL ABOUT intuitive eating (lowercase - I don't know enough about the official Intuitive Eating movement to say if her ideas are in line with it). She constantly preaches, "you're not dieting, you're listening to your body, you're learning the habits of a healthy balance"...good stuff.

You're so right - diets are fake and unnatural and destined to failure because they're temporary. We need to choose new lifestyles.

I'm still cheering you on! I can't wait to see what you learn as you give it a try!