"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Friday, July 11, 2008

On Addictions

Wednesday’s run was my first evening run and I have to say that I really loved it. The water was quiet and calm and there was a very slight breeze that kept me feeling cool and relaxed. We managed to forget our watches because we had originally planned to run on the treadmills, but they were occupied. So in lieu of running by the clock, we planned our run by landmarks and ran about a third of the mile-long track.

The first run was very difficult; my legs felt like lead and I struggled to get through it. However by the second run, I had a lot of my energy back and I was prepared to continue on. Although our run was cut short by darkness, I learned a lot about my running style in the process. I learned that the enormous amounts of salt I ingest through foods and condiments has really slowed my body down and that’s why I am planning to drastically reduce and then eliminate my soda consumption.

Doing so will allow me to reduce the amount of salt and fluid my body retains and save me around twenty dollars per month. However, going cold turkey as I have tried a few times before results in my getting dramatic headaches, I suppose due to caffeine addiction. So, I will have to play this just right, but the benefits are too great to ignore. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Chavonne said...

I think that reducing salt and caffeine consumption will be great. I will do what I can to support you. I think that slowly withdrawing is key. Good luck!