"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Playing Catch Up

After ending our run early on Saturday, we took Sunday off as well to give Kalem a break and because he was still sore. He has no reason to feel embarrassed(!)--it could happen to anyone. I was glad that he stopped when he started to hurt and that his injury wasn't severe.

As a result, there is 6 miles to catch up on now, in addition to already-scheduled runs. I am trying to get them all done this and next week, but that would mean I would have to run 6 days in a row. Not so fun (or healthy) sounding. Kalem is much more pragmatic and has stretched them out more. I want to get back on track ASAP, so we'll see what happens in the next few days. With long runs coming up, I'd like to be caught up before I have to do my first five miles!

I have been sick to my stomach for the last few days. I have no one to blame but myself--I ate so much junk this weekend! I think that what really did me in was the CiCi's Pizza Saturday afternoon. We both felt awful after eating it. I took yesterday off from work because I was overwhelmingly nauseous. I feel better today, though still a little queasy.

Because of how I've been feeling, I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I put into my body. I eat way too much unhealthy, fatty foods, and my stomach is not too happy about it! I made a resolution to be more mindful about what I eat, including asking myself if I'm really, truly hungry. I think that this will help with my overeating as well. I am determined not to eat out as much as I used to as well. It just ends up making me feel bad.

That said, I feel more focused and ready to run, eat better, and take better care of my body. I have done yoga twice and I feel so great about it. I feel that it's really helping my IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome--gross, I know), too--even though I felt gross yesterday, after I did yoga, my stomach felt much calmer. My runs are much easier and more enjoyable when I've eaten well before, too. That's important for me to keep in mind if I complain about runs being hard!

It is important for me to remember that what I put in my body is just as important as what I do with it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you and your commitment, my heart.

Kaby

Steph said...

Another thing to keep in mind if you go to eat out (we all want and need to every so often... I love to cook, but some days it definitely feels more like a chore than others and I feel completely uninspired. On those days, having a meal planned and made by someone else is wonderful.) is that portions are often much bigger than what anyone needs to eat. I always try to make sure I take some of my meal to go, which also helps cut down on the cost (instead of spending $10 on one meal, it becomes $10 for two!). It can really be hard, but one way to make it work is to automatically put half of the food away from the getgo so that you don't have to monitor while you're actually eating (and your stomach's catching up).

And don't worry about catching up too quickly! If you push yourself too hard, you'll risk injury which will just set you back even more. Remember: pace yourself! You can always make this time up later into your running regime when your body can more easily handle running every day for longer stretches. Don't worry! You'll do it!