"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ouch, etc.

Today was the first day that I said, "I might not be able to do this". I am frustrated by just how tired I am during runs lately. Today's run was brutal. I guess another lesson I learned from my fantastic run yesterday was "If one runs at top speed, she will not be able to run the next day." Ha! So, about 1.5 miles into my run, my body began a pretty speedy shut-down, beginning with my right calf and ending with my lower back. Gah.

I am seriously thinking I am taking this whole running thing too far. Maybe it was insanity for an obese woman to think she could start from the most activity typically performed in a week equalling opening the Oreo package and end up running an immense number of miles in the span of a year. Oy. But, I set this goal and, by gum, I will get there!

I am spending the weekend working on my technique. I think that my doing yoga has helped with my flexibility, but I'm hoping to get even better. I have heard about a method called ChiRunning (www.chirunning.com), and am really excited that it will help with my technique, amount of energy, and ability to increase my mileage. I have the book out from the library, wish me luck! If I don't find a new method soon, I won't make it much longer!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not insane or obese. You have just had a rough week. I love you. We can do this!

Steph said...

You will definitely make it! Don't give up. And every day can't be awesome, remember that. This run was hard a brutal, but you achieved so much the day before. Some days will be harder than others, and it sucks if you end a run on a low point, but you'll make it and can keep going. Just make sure you juggle things so that if you're planning on a hard run one day, you have a more manageable one to complete the next time. Stay strong! You can do it!

Unknown said...

We are going to do this!! Even if it takes 7+ hours =)