"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Tuesday, July 29, 2008

ChiRunning

When I last wrote, I had decided to take a hiatus from running to improve my running. It sounds a little goofy, I know, but I felt like I needed a break from pounding my joints into the asphalt to learn more about how to run safely and without impact and as much effort (and therefore faster and longer). I planned to take some time to read "ChiRunning" (if you want more info, there's also a website: http://www.chirunning.com/).

I took about a week off to work on my technique. It's so funny that I had to not run in order to run better. I think it's a brilliant method and once I get it down really well, I think it will my runs will be worlds better.

On Sunday night, I spent a good part of it working on posture, etc. I didn't really get the leg part of the equation, but I tried to do as best I could. I still don't get how to work my legs!

I went for my first run yesterday morning. I didn't have any real goals except for trying to incorporate ChiRunning as much as I could during my scheduled three-mile run. I found it really frustrating--the first time I tried it I ran way too fast and had to stop really quickly because I was gasping for breath. The next time I tried it, I got the lean right, but my breathing was off and my legs hurt. A few times running later, I think I got the lean, my breathing was improving, but now my shins hurt! That has never happened during a run! (It's always my calves, but I've never had shin trouble). Gah.

So, I finished my run feeling annoyed and tired. I felt like I had only run 10 minutes of the whole session. When I looked down on my watch, though, my 3-mile run time had decreased by 3 minutes! Hot dog! So, even though I don't think I could have had the very best run, I improved! I'm excited about really getting everything down and getting even better!

As I took a large amount of time away from my training, I'm not sure what this will mean for my marathon training. Right now, I feel like my training should focus more on form and technique than on increasing distance. For now, I think I'll keep my runs under 5 miles until I feel comfortable with how the runs are going. I'll keep you updated on how this progresses!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought your form looked great during practice. I had lots of time to focus on it after you turned off my game, doofus.

Steph said...

I'm glad to hear you took the time to be safe, but be careful of your shins! Seriously! You know that shin splints took me out of running for about 2 weeks, and I'd hate for that to happen to you!

I think Tony and I are going to start running again this weekend. We're in this beautiful new building where the workout room is never used... time to get back on that treadmill.