"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Sunday, June 7, 2009

On Milestones

Last night, while reading about weight loss, I wondered if I was thinking too much. If I needed to just let go. I think in a way I am overthinking it. But I also feel that at this point, I have to. I am trying to set myself up for success and the way to do that right now is to write as much as I can and to engage in a lot of positive self-talk. I think that as I get further in my weight loss, it won't take up so much of my thinking.

I've realized that it's going to take at least a year to lose all of this weight. If I lose at the rate I have so far, it's going to take two. And I'm okay with that. This is the first time I've felt okay with it. I am not frustrated. It took longer than two years to pack on 120 pounds; shouldn't I be thrilled that it takes less time to get it off?! I'm okay to give it as much time as I need to, as I refuse to accept the alternative.

This weekend, I've also been thinking about the milestones I'm looking forward to. I think I could create about a million if I want to, but here are my top ten, for now:
  • Not qualify for weight-loss surgery at lowest no-illness BMI (262 pounds) CHECK!
  • Lose first ten pounds (260 pounds)
  • Round down to 200 pounds (249 pounds)
  • Meet one-quarter mark (240 pounds)
  • Not qualify for weight loss surgery at all (229 pounds)
  • Meet halfway mark (210 pounds)
  • Be in the one hundreds (199 pounds)
  • Have an "overweight" BMI (196 pounds)
  • Meet three-quarters mark (180 pounds)
  • Fit a pair of jeans size 12 (not sure where this will happen, but when I started college, I work a 14 or 16 and weighed about 185 pounds)
  • Have a "normal" BMI (163 pounds)
  • Meet final goal (150 pounds)

Okay, that's 12. :). I like these milestones. They're all fairly close and feel attainable. Of course, I'm taking it one day at a time (with more focus on each 5-pound increment), but I'll be pretty darn excited getting to each of them. I'll have to think of fun, healthy ways to celebrate all of them.

I've also tried to understand why I made 150 pounds my goal weight. I thought it was because it was some significant BMI number from when I thought I was 5'9". But there really isn't. I think it's because I like it. :). It's a nice round number that gives me some wiggle room as I age (I hope to never weigh above 175 again). So, I think I'll keep it.

I'm also thinking of what else I should do other than walking. I don't plan to do any exercises with impact for a while, but I do know I'll have to start lifting weights sooner than later. I'm going to read up on it a bit.

I feel great!

No comments: