"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Impatience

I spend far too much time reading others' weight loss blogs lately. I really enjoy it, though--it gives me a chance to recognize that I'm not the only one trying to change for the better and having a heck of a time doing it. This morning, I read a great entry that described exactly how I am feeling today.

I feel incredible about having lost 10 pounds. I feel super sassy and really proud of my hard work. A few people have noticed a change, too.

But I'm still obese. I'll be obese (BMI-wise) for the next 58 pounds. I was in the Hotline office this morning talking about weight with some extremely thin women and felt like the literal elephant in the room. I know how hard I work. My loved ones know how hard I work. When will it be obvious to those who I don't tell?

I have been overweight for at least 15 years of my 25-year life. I want to be thin and I want it NOW! It has taken me 11 weeks to lose 10 pounds; if I keep this pace, I'll be done in November 2011. Wow, that's a long time. I'm hoping my metabolism picks up soon, but I know it might not. I'm trying to mean what I say, that I'm okay with that. It took longer than 2.5 years to get to this size. Sigh. Still, it's difficult.

I'm keeping positive, though. I feel so much better. My body's slimming. I have more energy. I feel better about myself, my health, my body. There are good things happening with me. I just have to be patient until my body catches up.

3 comments:

sharongracepjs said...

This seems to be a discouraging, challenging week for a lot of us. Hang in there! Patience is one of the toughest things - after all, impatience helped get us here...fast food instead of cooking, driving in stead of walking, etc. The only thing we were patient about was patience with the pounds creeping on!

Just keep making one right choice at a time. Thinking about "the end game" can be intimidating and can seem impossible. But all you can affect right now is your next healthy choice, so focus on that.

Stick to it! Your dedication will pay off! You've worked hard - be proud of that!

(PS I followed your 3fc link :)

Chavonne said...

Wow, what a great notion: impatience is what got me here in the first place. Why didn't I think of that?! :).

I think that I'll have to work on being patient more than I thought, then--it's been a lifelong trait. I feel I am a patient person, but not when it comes to eating!

Rachel said...

It's soooo hard to be patient. I'm definitely struggling with that now. I've come to realize that my health needs to be my focus since that's really the foundation of a happy life -and for me, if I'm happy I don't really struggle with food or lack of exercise.
But, focusing on health does mean the weight will come off more slowly than if I were going on a more-strict, less-sustainable diet.

Don't worry - we'll get there and we'll be fabulous!