"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Thursday, July 16, 2009

Spirituality and Weight Loss

My MSW internship is at a drug and alcohol rehab and I am often reminded of how the compulsion to overeat is so like the urge to use substances. Tonight we had a group discussion about spirituality and how it plays into recovery. So, I thought I'd work through my own thoughts on how I feel spirituality plays into weight loss.

I'm not a religious person. I grew up in a very spiritual/religious home and at one point as a teenager I came to the conclusion that my parents' faith is not my home. I am extremely respectful of the amount of faith that my parents have; they are great, tolerant people and I know that their spirituality plays into that. I just don't truck with a lot of what their religion stands for. At that time I was highly cynical of religion and all of those that espouse it. I now know that there is a big difference between spirituality and religion. I think it's possible to be spiritual while not religious and vice versa.

Today in group, one client talked about the void they had in their life and that they filled it with drugs. When they got sober, the hole was still there. What could they fill it with?

I feel that I have lived the same way. I filled my ache for worth with food. I had such bad self-esteem as a kid. In college, I asserted my worth with my sexuality with sad results--it only led to more self-hate for allowing myself to be used by guys I knew didn't care about me. Fortunately, that didn't last long because I met my husband soon after beginning college and I was able to be a part of a loving, respectful relationship. Still, that didn't completely fill the void. I had love, companionship, so much to be happy for, but I still did not feel whole. So, I ate. And ate. And ate! At one point, I think I did become happy with where I was in life, but I still ate. And here I am. Now that I'm trying to live a healthier, fuller life, I'm afraid of that void taking over my psyche once more.

People find spirituality in different places. A lot of people talked about finding spirituality when communing with nature in some way or spending time with loved ones. When I used to run, my runs were spiritual--I lived to commune with nature and my body. Being intimate with my husband is a spiritual experience. I choose to embrace all that is going on in my environment and gathering strength from it, whether it is the love of my loved ones, a quiet walk along the river, time to reflect on the goodness in my life. I do feel that there is a Higher Power, but I don't know just what that is for me. For now, the beauty of life is what I hope will fill that void that will likely come as I learn not to rely on the comfort of food.

(I know that there is Overeaters Anonymous. I've thought a lot about becoming a part, but am not sure if OA is for me. I'm interested in attending a meeting to see if it's for me, but not at this point.)

2 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Very interesting post. Yes, addiction is addiction. Just because food is a legal one doesn't mean that abuse doesn't come with its own set of issues and problems.

Good luck with your journey.

Fatina George said...

I gained a lot of weight when I was unhappy...and then I gained some more when I was happy. I know the feeling.