"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Sunday, July 5, 2009

Review: The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl by Shauna Reid

I have just read the best weight loss memoir. I read Half of Me by Jeanette Fulda a few months ago and really liked it, but this one was marvelous. I loved how much I could relate to the author. I have "Fat-Girl Freakouts" all of the time! I had one in my car this morning where I cursed myself for wearing what I was wearing (this shirt could be a bit looser). I was so worried that people would critique my outfit that I almost turned around just to change! But, I remembered that I value having a job so I got here on time. Still, I wish I could change right now.

Anyhoo, I couldn't put it down. I've made a habit of not reading weight loss stuff outside of my house (I normally do during breakfast or right before bed or when I'm feeling particularly tubby), but I carried this book around with pride. I'm sure people heard me laughing at my desk (when I snuck a few quick pages in between assignments), too. It was absolutely lovely.

I always hear about how people find love after losing the fat and I personally think it's a lot of baloney. Kalem loves me, rolls and all, and he's already pouting that I'm not so fluffy. But I now understand that it may be because of the lack of self-esteem so many of us big girls have. I know I have it; I was just fortunate enough to find a guy that saw the confident woman inside.

I've been going through a bit of a low-motivation period and this book is really helping pull me out of it. I didn't need to read about weight loss strategies but instead about someone else's struggles and how they kept their sense of humor and didn't let weight loss take over their whole life. And I got to laugh! Boy, I howled through most of it. I know I'll read it again during the next few years as I try to see my toes once more.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Wow, thank you reading the book Chavonne! Glad you enjoyed it :)