"And I realized...this wasn't a way to live. This was a way to die." (28 Days)


Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Meeting My Needs

Another entry written while in class!

I wrote this entry based on another ezine article by Linda Spangle: I need a LOT! (Emotional Eating):

Instead of crappy food, I know what I need:

  1. Quality time with my husband
  2. Money for a new furnace
  3. More money in our savings account
  4. A new job
  5. To see my parents
  6. A close friend in Pittsburgh (though I'm not sure about that--I have a great group of friends here and have barely enough time to see them every few weeks!)
  7. A vacation
  8. Rest!

It boils down to the fact that I feel really stressed--this school/work/internship schedule is really running me ragged. I know that it's worth it, but I really miss having evenings to myself (or with Kalem). I would really love to have a vacation soon. Fortunately, tonight was my last class of the summer semester, so I have one week night with Kalem until September.

Writing this list has really helped me realize how food "takes care" of me. I have adopted the policy of asking myself what's eating me when I find myself overeating. I can't cure my emotional eating today, but knowing what they are is a big start.

I feel like I look good today! I can see the beginnings of a waist. The cleanse is gross and I hate it. I HATE taking pills, so I don't know what I was thinking adding a million more to my day! Still, I'm sure it will help jumpstart my weight loss. I'm desperate to reach that first ten pounds!

Last night I did Turbo Jam and it was fantastic! I hadn't done it for a while because I was trying to mix things up, but when I put the DVD in, I felt like I was back home. I did Ab Jam and Turbo Sculpt--man, were my abs screaming! I did the "Burn" and 20-minute workouts tonight. I'd forgotten how fun working out can be. I have to work really hard to make sure I keep enjoying working out, because I won't keep doing it if I dread it.

Our new veggie for the month was rutabaga, so last night I mashed one with butter, light salt, and herbs and served it with a tangy herb-crusted steak (another new recipe). Sadly, neither dishes were successful. I really think rutabagas would be better as part of a sweet dish rather than a savory given their base flavor. I think I'll try it again one day. I believe that next month's veggie will be asparagus. I've eaten it before, of course, but have never prepared it fresh before. How sad is it that I'm this old and have never cooked it fresh before? This new lifestyle is so remarkable; daily I'm discovering new healthy flavors and great ways to take care of my body.

I've actually been fairly low on sodium this week. I think that this is coming from my planning high-fiber, low-sodium, grain-filled meals. I've reintroduced quinoa back into my diet. A gal can't eat brown rice every day! So, I've been getting home with tons of sodium left to eat if I choose. And I choose, even if I'm not hungry! Why is that?! Last night I literally said that I'd worked so hard that I was proud of myself and should get to eat until I reached my limit. The day before I said that there would be days I'd be mad I couldn't eat more, so I should enjoy it now. I think that it goes back to my big-girl behavior--always eating because there's a chance I won't get to later. I can't say how many times I've had a sandwich before I went out to eat with others. It's going to take a lot of work to get out of that habit, I'm sure. I'm so ready for the challenge.

3 comments:

Fatina George said...

What do you mean "eat until you limit?" Is that part of a plan you're doing?

It's great that you have a supportive husband. My husband would love me even if my face was burned with acid (I've asked).

I know what it's like to be in school, working, and being busy all the time with other commitments on top of it all.

I am still in school and working. This summer I am just working, and it feel like a vacation.

Chavonne said...

I put myself on a low-sodium diet as a way to lose weight. Watching calories wasn't cutting and I realized how much better I felt when I ate a normal amount of sodium. Right now I'm at the USDA recommended amount (2300 mg a day) and will lower that if and when my body tells me I need to.

I'm so glad you have a supportive husband, too! Having him on my side is making this journey so much more pleasant.

sharongracepjs said...

Wow, that's a great suggestion - to list what I need that I've been using food in the place of. I also like the "I don't need to eat. what's eating me?" thought process. Great insights!